b. 1983 ; Okayama, Japan
Irie's unique works are full of new found value in everyday goods and personal belongings by focussing on the pure story behind the roots of each material. She creates small delicate objects by erasing surface images of bank notes and packages of sweets and using the left overs from the eraser to sculpt 3D replicas of the iconographies formerly decorating the objects.
Despite of the universal principle that flora, fauna and minerals have limited life, I believe that even after losing its shape there is no end to life inhabiting any matter. My concept is based on the idea that life continues to exist in an unperceivable sphere, even when the outer shape changes.
For instance, by re-shaping a dinosaur out of a shoe sole made of fossil fuel I express the journey of the material from past to present. Further, by erasing the image printed on bank notes and using the rubber leftover to accurately resculpt the figure, I want to show how easily the absolute value of the bank note can be eliminated. The uniqueness of my work lies in the constant search of the essence in the subject.
As seen in the fundamental idea of reincarnation in Buddhism, things too may continue to circulate by endlessly changing their outer appearance.
I receive inspiration for my works from everyday life and their ties to the distant past.
- Born in Okayama, Japan. Lives and works in Hiroshima
- Research Assistant Fellow, Hiroshima City University
- MFA, Hiroshima City University, Faculty of Ar
- Foreign exchange student at Kunsthochschule Berlin-Weissensee, Berlin German
- BFA, Hiroshima City University, Faculty of Art
- "Shiseido Art Egg 6: Daily Happiness" Shiseido Gallery / Tokyo, Japan
- "Every day day" curated by Okamoto Yoshie, Space ZERO / Hiroshima, Japan
- "Daily Earth" the center for creative communications / Shizuoka, Japan
PROJECTS & GROUP EXHIBITIONS
- "TSUSHIMA ART FANTASIA 2011" Tsushima / Nagasaki, Japan
"Between Scrap and Build" Miyajima / Hiroshima, Japan
- "Rokko Meets Art 2010" Mt. Rokko / Hyogo, Japan
"The 13th Exhibition of the Taro Okamoto Award for Contemporary Art" Taro Okamoto Museum / Kanagawa, Japan
"ARTJAM TOKYO 2010" NADiff A/P/A/R/T / Tokyo, Japan
"HiroshimArt" Yoshijima / Hiroshima, Japan
- "Kippo Maru: exploring inside the ship!" Yoshijima / Hiroshima, japan
- "Hiroshima Art Project 2008 CAMP HIROSHIMA" Old Bank of Japan Hiroshima Branch / Hiroshima, Japan
"Hiroshima Art Project 2008 CAMP BERLIN" Berlin, Germany
- "Hiroshima Art Project 2007 GELDSCHEISSER IN VAULT
- "Shiseido Art Egg 6", First Prize
- "Taro Okamoto Award for Contemporary Art"
"ROKKO MEETS ART 2010"
- "AMUSE ARTJAM in Kyoto 2009", Special Award from Chie Morimoto
- "Re-Act New Art Competition 2007 Re-Act", Special Award from Taro Amano
- "DESIGNERS WEEK 2005", Special Award from Fujitsu